Find out if PrEP is right for you:
Talk to your NVHC healthcare provider or our PrEP Navigator at 702-563-4618.
For an appointment, or for more information, call 800.787.2568
- Preventing HIV (English)
- Preventing HIV (Spanish)
- PrEP Fact Sheet (English)
- PrEP Fact Sheet (Spanish)
PrEP helps prevent HIV
PrEP stands for Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis. The definition of “prophylaxis” is an action to prevent disease. The goal of PrEP is to prevent HIV infection from taking hold by taking medicine before you are exposed to the virus. PrEP is a medicine prescribed to people who do not have HIV infection but are at high risk for getting it. PrEP is a combination of two medicines to prevent HIV, which
ensures you are getting the right combined daily dose for
the medicine to work.
How does PrEP help prevent HIV infection?
- The two medications that make up PrEP block the virus’s ability to start infections.
- If you take PrEP daily, the presence of the medication in your blood and tissues can stop the virus from establishing itself in your body.
- PrEP is highly effective as long as you take it every day. Condoms provide additional protection against HIV, as well as most sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and unintended pregnancy.
How should this medicine be used?
- You must take one tablet by mouth every day.
- Do not stop taking PrEP without talking to your doctor. When your supply of medicine starts to run low, contact your doctor or pharmacy to get more.
- You will be at higher risk of becoming infected with HIV if you miss multiple doses or stop taking PrEP than if you take it every day.
In most cases, PrEP is covered by insurance.
We are happy to check with your insurance during your appointment to make sure PrEP medication is covered under your plan.
- Prescription co-pay assistance is available, if needed.
- The Ready, Set, PrEP Program makes PrEP medication available at no cost for people who qualify. To qualify, you must:
- test negative for HIV
- have a valid prescription from your healthcare provider
- not have insurance that covers prescription drugs